www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Savannah Red Rice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceg

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-22-2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Savannah Red Rice Reply with quote

I picked up the Lodge Cookbook and wanted to try out the Savannah Red Rice outdoors. Also wanted to try my kettle and tripod in the yard. Worked out just fine.

I have three beagles. Ruby is in charge of guarding the rice! Ruby the red nosed, red-eared, red and white beagle has GOT to be in charge of red rice!

Cooking away:

Looking Good!

What I learned: I should have cooked tomatoes, onions, celery, andouille sausage separately from the rice, chicken stock and cider vinegar - then mixed them together and added the shrimp. Rice was cooked too much. Using a liberal hand with freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, sea salt and cajun seasoning can be good!

Will figure out a simple way to do two kettles at a time next. But overall, it was good, had a nice heat to it, and went quickly! (thinking of doing a very simple, removable firepit - removable being key, in case the homeowners covenants disagree!).
DG TX

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-22-2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking dish and Great looking Beagle Thumbs Up
Duke Gilleland
Gilleland's Beagles, Texas
Staci

PostPosted: Wednesday 5-23-2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go back and look at the recipe directions in the book... Looks like you would need some side skillets in the fire too. I thought maybe the recipe was similar to a pilau (perlow). I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make in the end result but I would use parboiled rice instead of the long grain, as long grain seems fragile and to over cook easily (IMHO).

How was the flavor?
Zelix

PostPosted: Wednesday 5-23-2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great looking dish. Thumbs Up
bruceg

PostPosted: Wednesday 5-23-2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flavor was awesome!

My plan is to build a small firepit so I can cook things separately, then combine them. Or just pick up another metal pan from Napa and use one for the Tripod and the other for a DO. That would be simple, inexpensive, easy to set up and easy to remove. I can do skillets on my grill, so don't need to get too fancy.

Now to look up pilau!
Staci

PostPosted: Wednesday 5-23-2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up some shrimp from Florida over the weekend - I was going to save them for a low country boil but just might make the red rice instead.

I have a great pilau recipe - I'll post in the recipe section for you.
bruceg

PostPosted: Wednesday 5-23-2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Gulf shrimp! My youngest son and I used to love going to Cape San Blas to go camping, and travel to Appalachicola to check out the shrimp boats. I think I'm going to have to put Gulf Shrimp on the list for the weekend, even if we can't make it down to the coast.
redheddedstranger

PostPosted: Thursday 9-27-2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine lookin dish there for sure. fine lookin beagle too. gotta love them lil ole lovin hounds... great dogs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: