www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Cream of Wild Rice Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B

PostPosted: Saturday 11-5-2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Cream of Wild Rice Soup Reply with quote

I think we need a section for lunch time cooking.

I got out my trusty Iron Mountain 10" indoor Dutch oven and whipped this up. It's from a recipe that comes in a little booklet they include in each package of St. Maries Wild Rice, which grows down the road a ways from here.

6 Tblsp. butter, margarine or olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 diced carrot
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 cans chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 cup half and half
parsley or chives for garnish

Melt butter in the Dutch oven; sauté the onion and carrot until they are tender. Add the mushrooms, sauté 2 minutes longer. Blend in the flour, then gradually stir in the broth. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil, then boil for a couple of minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, the chicken, salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes. Blend in the half and half, then simmer for another 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley or chives.

To cook the wild rice, wash in cold water using a strainer. Put two cups of wild rice in a pot with 5 to 6 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, then boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for another 50 minutes.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID

Last edited by Mike B on Saturday 11-5-2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oysterpot

PostPosted: Saturday 11-5-2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh that looks good. Thumbs Up

If you can read this...Thank a Teacher. If you're reading it in English... Thank a Veteran!!!
David Hughes

PostPosted: Saturday 11-5-2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oysterpot wrote:
Ooooh that looks good. Thumbs Up

I agree !!!!
Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
sandyman

PostPosted: Saturday 11-5-2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to try that one, looks really good Thumbs Up

Sandy C Gold Tooth Smile:
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Saturday 11-5-2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's my spoon? Thumbs Up
Mike B

PostPosted: Sunday 11-6-2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I tend to forget is that both noodles and rice tend to absorb liquid. So the soup becomes a stew or worse. I have adjusted the recipe above, adding more liquid in the form of chicken broth. That way, you actually can have soup the next day.
:Smile 1:

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Oysterpot

PostPosted: Sunday 11-13-2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike B. I made this soup per the recipe (just one variable maybe). I made this for our Saturday evening meal at a 3 day DOG camp. The main meal was going to be very high class, (DO Prime Rib main course), so I thought this soup would be a good entry.

My only variance came in the way my chicken was cooked. I used skinless breast, and cubed it up. I then fried up some good bacon, for the drippings, and then pan fried the chicken in them. I added my pepper at this point. I think I will try grilled checken next time, just to compare.
I will be making this soup at my daughters for Thanksgiving.

The soup was a hit, but I got to bring alot home, the prime rib took the spot light.

Thanks for sharing its a very easy keeper for me.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

If you can read this...Thank a Teacher. If you're reading it in English... Thank a Veteran!!!
Mike B

PostPosted: Monday 11-14-2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oysterpot wrote:
The soup was a hit, but I got to bring alot home, the prime rib took the spot light.

Thanks for sharing its a very easy keeper for me.

You're welcome. I am all for variations as they keep things interesting and you might end up with something infinitely better than what you started with.

I wish there was a section on this forum for Soups and Other Lunch Meals (hint, hint).

:Smile 1:

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
scout

PostPosted: Sunday 11-20-2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the posting of this recipe I wonderd if it was the same recipe Thinking I was going to try it anyway but YEP I guess is IS :Smile 1: I testify to the fact that it is YUMMY & if I had had a container to take some home from the DOG Oysterpot I would have! A perfect fit with the prime rib but I think it was YOU that had your face buried in a plate full of juicy Prime RIB Laughing I am gonna' copy down this recipe in my notebook! THX
chris

PostPosted: Sunday 11-20-2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love soup. This one looks yummy.

Thumbs Up
ScouterMom

PostPosted: Saturday 11-26-2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy - that's COMFORT FOOD for sure!

That's going in my collection of recipes, and I may use it next weekend at our DOG.

Tried this tonite..... WOW! this is fancy restaurant good!

Chicken anything is a big favorite around here, and with two 20-something boys, I added more chicken in fairly big chunks, which is what they like.

My son and a friend from work stopped at home to try some on their dinner break - they raved over it and took some more back with them for break after the store closes.

this is definately going to be a family favorite - and it's now on the menu for our local DOG this weekend!
ScouterMom

PostPosted: Tuesday 4-10-2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this for our DOG in Feb - it was a cold, blustery, rainy day - and this soup was JUST the ticket to warm up with while everyone else's main dishes were cooking. it was DELICIOUS!

.... and unlike most of our DOG's where we have way too much food and always some leftovers - there were NO leftovers to bring home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Soups & Stews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: