www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Year-round canning and preserving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelen

PostPosted: Sunday 1-24-2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Year-round canning and preserving Reply with quote

One of the commitments i've made for 2010 is participating in a multi-blogger (140+ !!!) year-round canning and preserving 'carnival' where each month one of us picks a theme, and everyone else makes at least one recipe using the theme ingredient(s). Kind of a virtual Iron Chef for canning and preserving. Gold Tooth Smile:

The group is called the TigressCanJam and this is our January Challenge: Citrus. Scroll down to the comments and you'll find links to some of the bloggers' recipes (toward the end) but there should be a January wrap-up post and announcement of February's challenge ingredient in a week or so.

I made a roasted lemon marmalade that is so good and so easy that I've made it four times, each with little herby and sugar amount variations. It's kinda liek the 5-min. no-knead bread - lots of time 'macerating' but not much actual prep or cooking time. If anyone wants to follow along and get your jam and pickle on, you might want to bookmark the Tigress's blog.
my jam blog: http://kitchenjam.net
Also Syracuse Food & Dog Training. @Gaelen2 on Twitter.
Paul

PostPosted: Sunday 1-24-2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of fun.... thanks for posting! :Smile 1:
Errant

PostPosted: Monday 1-23-2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that does look like fun! I've never canned, but have been reading more about it lately in my search for large Fido jars for pantry use. Just realized that a giant pot I've been using for years as a stock pot is actually a canning pot. I've always wondered what that silly rack was for LOL

Maybe I should give it a try. Marmalade would be delicious!
J2

PostPosted: Monday 1-23-2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first canning experience last summer/fall. Unlike many of you, I never watched my Mom or Granny do this.

The neighbors have a blackberry bush that they don't harvest. I decided last year (I've lived here for 10+ years) that I was going to take advantage of those "FREE" berries. I spend $70 dollars on the Ball insert "rack" that they sell for beginners and jars and all the gadgets. I made blackberry jam that was awful (I cooked it too long, but I learned from my mistake). But then I canned them with just simple syrup. I just opened the last jar to have with pancakes yesterday. What a wonderful thing to have in the morning. We still have snow on the ground from a big storm that people are still recovering from, so that made it extra tasty.

I would suggest trying it at least once. I am looking forward to next summer to get some more of those berries and I am also thinking of growing tomatoes to make my own salsa.

Joanne2
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Monday 1-23-2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo J2, I started my canning quest last year also. Can't get my wife to come anywhere near the kitchen. SO, decided I could do it. My raised bed garden put out way more than we could eat or give away. I had good luck with most everything except my pickled green tomatos. I love those,but messed mine up letting them cook too long. The taste is right on but the texture ...well..too mushie. We all seem to mess up as we learn as did our grandmothers if we knew the truth.
doitright

PostPosted: Monday 1-23-2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: canning Reply with quote

Here in Lauderdale Co. Tn we have a cannery that is free to use for home canning. Several Co. here in West Tn. have them. I work on it every year to get it running and shut it down. All the equipment is comercial (sp) grade and
like I stated it is free just bring your what ever you want to can and the workers will show you how to do it. Bigdaddy look into it. Haywood Co. just rebuilt there Cannery. They got new piping boiler and pots. They were shut down this last summer and all from Haywood Co. came to Lauderdale Co. for free canning.
doitright
sorry for the highjack
J2

PostPosted: Monday 1-23-2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: canning Reply with quote

doitright wrote:
Here in Lauderdale Co. Tn we have a cannery that is free to use for home canning. Several Co. here in West Tn. have them. I work on it every year to get it running and shut it down. All the equipment is comercial (sp) grade and
like I stated it is free just bring your what ever you want to can and the workers will show you how to do it. Bigdaddy look into it. Haywood Co. just rebuilt there Cannery. They got new piping boiler and pots. They were shut down this last summer and all from Haywood Co. came to Lauderdale Co. for free canning.
doitright
sorry for the highjack

No Highjack, just sharing information. That's what we like to do here. I wish we had something like a free cannery here. Even the extension classes here cost something (more than I was willing to pay last year) and I think they only showed you how. You didn't bring your own berries.

In this age of YouTube, I was able to get a lot of information before I even bought my canning supplies.

Joanne2
David Hughes

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-24-2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm canning soup this Saturday. There's a group from church getting together to make vegetable chicken soup. Next month I think we may do beef, not soup just beef. I bought some reusable Lids & Rings to give a try also. They are BPA free. This is my fifth year canning and I enjoy it. I get together with my son and daughter in law in the fall and they have started canning too. It is a great way for a family to do things together, raise or buy veg's in bulk, prepare and process them and later enjoy them. It's not just a women thing there are a lot of guys that can also.

Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
J2

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-24-2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be able to can meat and non-acid vegetables but a pressure cooker is not in the budget yet. I will have to stick to freezing them for now.

Joanne2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: