www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Homemade Hot Sauce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Sauces, Rubs & Marinades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad

PostPosted: Monday 2-22-2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Homemade Hot Sauce Reply with quote

Charlie, a good friend told me how to make my own hot sauce. Charlie writes….to make hot sauce use jalapeno and bell pepper "guts" after you make ABTs or something else that requires you to "field dress" a pepper. Take all of the "parts" left over from the peppers (caps, stems, membrane, seeds, etc.) and drop them over into a pot. Then add some apple cider vinegar and some water to the mix. Just before you start the stove up drop in as many Arbol peppers as you think you might need. You can add some granulated garlic and onion to the pot while it's boiling. Powders will work too if you don't have fresh stuff.

Now, let it come to a boil and then let it simmer for about 4 hours. Strain all of the goop out of the liquid by pouring through at least 2 layers of cheesecloth. Put the remaining liquid into a bottle or jar and you're good to go. The longer it "rests" in the fridge the better it gets!

A recent batch I made I used the caps, stems, membranes, and seeds from 32 LARGE jalapenos, 2 green bells, and 2 red bells. I also added 12 Arbol peppers, 1 Tbs of chopped fresh garlic and 2 Tbs of minced onion. I added 2 1/4 cups of Apple cider Vinegar (ACV) and 2 cups of water. Let it boil/simmer until you BARELY have any liquid left.

--------------

So, I looked around the kitchen yesterday and used whatever I had on hand to make some hot sauce. What a blast!

I had smoked some ABTs Saturday and I also threw on 7 extra jalapenos and three pablanos. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with these extras but I knew I would figure something out. I wish I had thought to save the guts from the ABTs to make the hot sauce. Drat! But a smoked hot sauce should be good!

So, I chopped up all the peppers and threw them in a pot.

Added some chopped up onion and fresh garlic.

Added some Arbol, California, Red, and Habanera Chile powder.

Added the ACV and water. I had an apple near by so I thought what the heck so chopped it up and added half an apple.

It is simmering now can't wait to after it simmers for 3.5 hours. It may be horrible but man what a blast I'm having! Yiiiihaaaaaa!

About 1.5 hours in.

At first I started with the sieve. Then I put all the goop into cheesecloth and squeezed the juice out.

Got good results!

Then pour it though cheesecloth into the bottle.

Almost filled a 12 oz bottle. I am letting it come to room temp before tasting it.

My first taste of the hot sauce was on some smoked chicken salad with dinner last night. The heat is slow to start then it comes and lingers and stays in your mouth for a long time. I like it! As always with new rubs, seasonings, and sauces right after my first taste I was already thinking if I add a little of this back off of that and so on…..already thinking of my next batch.

This morning I used the hot sauce on my bowl of grits. Man o man the smokey flavor really came out...it was soooo good. I don't think this bottle will last to the end of the week! I think this sauce would be good on pulled pork...a little kicked up barbecue sauce.

--Dan

First Time Ever Crazy Smoked Hot Sauce Experiment

7 Smoked Jalapenos chopped
3 Smoked Pablanos chopped
1/2 and apple chopped in four pieces
1 small onion chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic minced
1 3/4 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

1 Tablespoon California Chile Powder
1 Tablespoon Arbol Chile Powder
1 Tablespoon Red Chile Powder
1 Teaspoon Habanera Chile Powder

Once it came to a boil I simmered for two hours.

Give it a go the possibilities are endless!
Dutch Oven Cook

PostPosted: Monday 2-22-2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Hot Sauce Reply with quote

[quote="jeepdad"]Charlie, a good friend told me how to make my own hot sauce......

Good lookin' stuff JD. I make my own hot sauce too. But mine is a bit simpler. I just use whole peppers, white vinegar and salt. I cook it til the peppers are soft, then spin it in the blender til smooth. Then I bottle it and keep it in the fridge til I need it. For hot spicy vinegar sauce for your collard greens, just bottle the whole peppers after cooking, without blending. I use Scotch Bonnets, Haberneros or Datil peppers in mine.

DOC
jeepdad

PostPosted: Monday 2-22-2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Hot Sauce Reply with quote

[quote="Dutch Oven Cook"]
jeepdad wrote:
Charlie, a good friend told me how to make my own hot sauce......

Good lookin' stuff JD. I make my own hot sauce too. But mine is a bit simpler. I just use whole peppers, white vinegar and salt. I cook it til the peppers are soft, then spin it in the blender til smooth. Then I bottle it and keep it in the fridge til I need it. For hot spicy vinegar sauce for your collard greens, just bottle the whole peppers after cooking, without blending. I use Scotch Bonnets, Haberneros or Datil peppers in mine.

DOC

Thanks DOC I like the idea of spicy vinegar for my collard greens thanks for the tip! I will try it for sure! All the best.

--Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Sauces, Rubs & Marinades All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: