www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Mandolins???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishbone

PostPosted: Thursday 6-25-2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Mandolins??? Reply with quote

Anyone ever use one & what type do You Like. I looking at Pampered Chef ones on EBay. Son & I need to cook up a bunch of potatoes (augratin style) for 28 GirlScounts, Leaders & Parents the last Meal at Local summer Camp. Wishbone-Ks
Charlee Turner

PostPosted: Thursday 6-25-2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one Wishbone...and it's awesome when I bother to take it out and use it! Wink Mine is Pampered Chef...it's a good brand to get.

The reason I don't use it often is that there's just the two of us most times, and I can slice with a knife faster than to drag it out and then clean it up. For a big group tho, I use it a lot more often...it's sharp, it's fast and to be honest, the clean up is not that bad! If you do a lot of group cooking, it's worth making the purchase.
dreadcptflint

PostPosted: Thursday 6-25-2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been using a vintage Mouli for food prep. It has been working well for slices for gratins and shredds for cheeses and hashbrowns. We have one of the ones with a red handle and folding legs.
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thursday 6-25-2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadcptflint wrote:
We've been using a vintage Mouli for food prep. It has been working well for slices for gratins and shredds for cheeses and hashbrowns. We have one of the ones with a red handle and folding legs.

I'm with you on the Moulis! I have one in the camper, one in the house, and a couple more bits and pieces in the pantry. Can't have too many Moulis. They are great for camping since they don't take any electricity.

I don't have a mandolin so I don't have a recommendation for that.

Joanne
wagoncook

PostPosted: Thursday 6-25-2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I make dutch oven potatoes I always cook 1/4 pound of potatoes per person. If I am cooking for 4 or 5 hundred people that is a lot of slicing. I have several mandolin slicers, but I am not comfortable with any of them. They all seem to be "Finger Getters" to me. Maybe it is just me.
What I use for big jobs is a Lincoln Redco Onion King Slicer. Just insert potato and pull down handle. The blades come 1/4 inch thick or 3/16 thick. I use the thinner cut. I do not have a picture of one----but if you google Lincoln Redco "Onion King" you can see where they are available.
Stanbiker

PostPosted: Friday 6-26-2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Mouli from e-bay after everyone raved about them. I cant wait to try it now!
thedukes

PostPosted: Sunday 6-28-2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have a Pampered Chef mandolin and like Charlee, it's great when you remember to use it. Do wish it also had a slightly thicker setting.

wd
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Sunday 6-28-2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mandolins??? Reply with quote

Wishbone wrote:
Anyone ever use one & what type do You Like ...
Stick with a simple mandoline, one that cuts without all the "bells and whistles." I have a top-line model that I bought at a local restaurant supply several years ago. It works well enough, but in heavy, can be cluncky and the safety is difficult to use.

Here's my mandoline.

Here's an Oxo V-blade mandoline on Amazon for $40.

I wouldn't spend more than $40 or 50. I spent about $200 and now wish that I had purchased an economy model. They do the same thing for much less.

Either way, Wishbone, a mandoline is a worthy investment if you plan to do any camp cooking for large groups. A sharp one will quickly cut a load of potatoes for scallops or au gratin. I used mine at camp yesterday to cut cucumbers for the cuke and onion salad for today. I had the job done in 10 minutes with nice, thin slices of cucumber.

I don't care how good you are with a knife, a mandoline just makes good sense for the camp kitchen.

PS--Here's a safety brief on the use of a mandolin in the kitchen from my blog: Basically, keep you strings tuned and make sure the musician wears a hat!

Kidding aside, mandoline safety is serious business in the kitchen. Properly used, they are a great timesaver and help you produce professional looking products. In the wrong hands, you'll be spending a lot of time in the energency ward.

Click here to read ...

PSS—You play a mandolin and cut potatoes on a mandoline!
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
SeabeeCook

PostPosted: Sunday 6-28-2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wagoncook wrote:
... What I use for big jobs is a Lincoln Redco Onion King Slicer. Just insert potato and pull down handle. The blades come 1/4 inch thick or 3/16 thick. I use the thinner cut. I do not have a picture of one----but if you google Lincoln Redco "Onion King" you can see where they are available.
Here's the link for the hand-operated machine. It's based on the manual French fry cutter or tomato slicer that are used by many small restaurants. Only one disadvantage to the backyard camp cook ... it costs a hefty $341.46!

WagonCook ... email me and I'll tell you about camp.
'Round the Chuckbox on Facebook
'Round the Chuckbox blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: