www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Powdered Milk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOpig

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-1-2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Powdered Milk Reply with quote

Any thoughts on using powdered milk in cooking. The scenario would be needing to use from my food storage because of natural disaster or loss of job. (which to me are one in the same) Is it easily substituted in the recipe? How about if I have no cream needed for the recipe? etc. etc. etc.
t9e99

PostPosted: Wednesday 4-1-2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works but i don't care for it. it has tended to kind of stay separated.. granular if you will.. i am thinking maybe condensed milk would work better.
Wishbone

PostPosted: Thursday 4-2-2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condenced Milk for Me. You can cut it 50/50 with water. I use it for cooking or if someone Just Has to Milk for Thier coffee & wont use CoffeeMate. Wishbone
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thursday 4-2-2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Powdered Milk Reply with quote

DOpig wrote:
Any thoughts on using powdered milk in cooking. The scenario would be needing to use from my food storage because of natural disaster or loss of job. (which to me are one in the same) Is it easily substituted in the recipe? How about if I have no cream needed for the recipe? etc. etc. etc.

If you are baking, then the powdered milk will work. Most powdered milk is low-fat or non-fat so you won't get the milk fats that enrich the bread or rolls. That said, it still adds a bit of flavor.

Joanne
kchriste

PostPosted: Thursday 4-2-2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get powedered buttermilk which adds even more flavor to baked goods.
dmb90260

PostPosted: Thursday 4-2-2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchriste wrote:
You can also get powedered buttermilk which adds even more flavor to baked goods.

I saw that at a local grocery and my get some. It goes back to my kid days but I hate look and smell of buttermilk. When I get it for a recipe most of it gets tossed.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
apple101

PostPosted: Monday 4-13-2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powdered milk seems to be better once it has a chance to cool in the fridge for a few hours - helps the powder dissolve actually and it tastes fresher after.

I actually just blogged about it today! Since it's on topic, you may enjoy this post:
http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/the-virtue-of-powdered-milk/

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com - finally, expert preparedness information.
dreadcptflint

PostPosted: Monday 4-20-2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchriste wrote:

Could you throw out a recipe or two? I am really curious to try using this as we have been added buttermilk to stuff for a couple of years for the tang. If the powdered does as well as the liquid then you have powdered gold on your hands.
DeborahD

PostPosted: Monday 4-20-2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchriste wrote:

I use powdered buttermilk in my biscuits recipe and add everything except the water when I go camping. Easy to just add the water. I keep a can in the fridge all the time, emergency or not, it's easier for baking.
kchriste

PostPosted: Tuesday 4-21-2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use regular recipes, maybe from the Joy of Cooking, and following the amounts on the buttemilk powder can, put the powder in with the dry ingredients and whisk, and use water for the liquid measure.

Works for biscuits (as above), muffins, cornbread, pancakes, yeast breads. . .

I use liquid buttemilk in scrambled eggs, replace half the mayo in tuna salad, in mashed potatoes. I've never used the powdered for these, will have to try it on a camping trip or power outage.
dreadcptflint

PostPosted: Tuesday 4-21-2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kchriste. The Joy of Cooking is one of my wife's favorite cookbooks (I prefer the checkered cookbook.) We will have to give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Home Life All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: